Adult Education Centre
stone of the former boys’
higher primary school, which was
built according to the plans by architect
Josip Costaperaria, was laid
in July 1908, and the school was
completed in September 1909. The
imposing, art nouveau style building
featured a spacious garden, a courtyard,
an outdoor workout area and a gymnasium.
It was the first higher primary school in the
Slovenian territory where students were
taught in Slovenian. Between 1920 and
1922, the drawing teacher was the Triesteborn
painter August Černigoj (1898-1985),
who then spent his teaching earnings on studying in Germany, including at the Bauhaus
University in Weimar. During the time
he spent in Postojna, Černigoj created some
of his early works, which are in the possession
of the Notranjska Museum.
In the academic year 1927/1928, following
fascist abolition of Slovenian language
in schools, the higher primary school was
replaced by an Italian lyceum. Even today,
the building provides a venue for educational
programmes for people of all ages.
Stop in front of the art nouveau façade and
look for the most interesting detail!
Tip: The foundation stone of the boys'
higher primary school is on display at the
Notranjska Museum Postojna.