Notranjska museum Postojna
The imposing building
on the slope below the railway
line was for many years inhabited
by people in uniform. From 1929,
when it was built, until Italy's capitulation,
the building was used
as the barracks for a crew of the
Carabinieri. After the war, their
uniforms were merely replaced by
others – the building housed the
headquarters of a Yugoslav People's
Army's garrison. Owing to
its historical and testimonial value
regarding the recent history of Slovenia,
a violent political division of
the Slovenian nation, the presence and organisational
structure of various armies, the
building was in 2007 declared a cultural monument.
It became the seat of the Notranjska
Museum Postojna in 2010 and today houses
a permanent exhibition on the karst.
With the Museum the building acquired a
brand new – cultural and peaceful – mission.