The ruins of the once mighty Baroque castle rise above the canyon of the Unica River on the southern edge of the Planina Plain. Hošperk Castle
was built at the beginning of the 17th century by the Princes of Eggenberg at the foot of an old medieval castle that was devastated by an earthquake.
At the time, Hošperk Castle was considered the mightiest Baroque castle on Slovenian soil. It was famous for its lavish interior and beautiful park which has been only partially preserved, unfortunately. The last owners were the Windischgrätz family, which bought the castle in 1846.
During the Second World War, the noblemen moved to Italy and the castle was first taken over by the Italian and later the German military before being burned down in 1944. The valuable interior was completely destroyed along with the Windischgrätz family archive and the family tomb belonging to the last owners of the castle.